TWITTER

FB

PINTEREST

GOOGLEPLUS
LEFTHOMEREADER TEACHER AUTHORRESEARCHER MOTHERABOUT MERIGHT
HEADER BOTTOM LEFTHEADER BOTTOM RIGHT

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Universal Quotes

Some people have asked about the quotes on the side of my blog...


When I teach Children's Literature, the funnest class ever, one of the assignments in our wide reading is to locate what I call Universal Quotes.  These are quotes from literature that have an element of timelessness, can reach across races, ethnicities and nationalities and speak to a common human nature.  Sometimes it is the moral of a story, sometimes just an interesting way of thinking.  Here are some more examples:






“Some knowledge is too heavy for children.  When you are older and stronger you can bear it.  For now you must trust me to carry it for you.”
THE HIDING PLACE by Corrie Ten Boon
“I had never realized how much I needed the attention of others to confirm my own presence.”
STARGIRL 
“People were always giving each other secret looks around me.  But I didn’t care.  I had private thoughts of my own that I didn’t share with them, so it made us even.”
JOEY PIGZA SWALLOWED THE KEY 
“You gotta face the hand you’re dealt and deal with it, and make your problems be the smallest part of who you are.”
JOEY PIGZA SWALLOWED THE KEY
“Might just as well be happy, seeing as it doesn’t make a difference to anyone but you if you are not.” 
THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX – by Kate DiCamillo
Laughter need not be cut out of anything, since it improves everything.
~ James Thurber

No comments:

Post a Comment